Courtesy of the American Economic Association
The UH-Manoa Economics Department strives to offer the best Economics education possible. We offer the following degree programs:
- BA in Economics - fully online option available
- BA in Economics with Quantitative Economics Concentration
- Minor in Economics
- 5-Year BA-MA in Economics
In addition, we offer numerous elective courses at all levels for students who just want to explore a bit which span a broad cross-section of the discipline.
The UH-Manoa Economics Department excels in numerous fields including Environmental, Resources, Labor, Health, Development, Economic History, Microeconomic and Macroeconomic Theory, and International Economics. Our faculty publish in and edit leading journals. They also offer their expertise as consultants to governments around the world as well as to the private sector and international organizations such as the United Nations and the World Bank. Much of the research that we conduct has been internationally recognized and is frequently cited in the media.
Upon graduation, our students have many attractive options. Some work in the private sector in areas such as insurance or finance. Others pursue civil service and work for the state or the federal government. In addition, other students have gone on to do postgraduate work in professional schools such as medicine, law, public policy, or business, while others have taken a more academic route to obtain the PhD in Economics or allied fields. Some students have matriculated in PhD programs at Cal Tech, UC-Berkeley and Oregon.
- Want to know more about our undergraduate course offerings? Check out the descriptions of economics courses in the UH-Manoa University Catalog.
- Did you just declare Economics as your major? Are you still just thinking about it? Either way, we have some important things you should keep in mind about sources of academic support and how to best fit our course offerings to meet your needs.
- The Department encourages all students taking economics courses to investigate possible sources of financial aid. A great place to begin is to visit the web site of the Financial Aid Office at UH-Manoa.
- Are you an economics major or minor with a 3.5 GPA in economics and a 3.3 overall GPA? Interested in being a member of an international economics honor society, Omicron Delta Epsilon? Please contact the Undergraduate Advisor for more information.
- Interested in being an exchange student in Thailand or Japan? Check out our exchange programs with Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand, and Nihon University in Tokyo, Japan.
BA Program Student Learning Objectives
- Economic Literacy - be able to explain clearly core economic terms, concepts, and theories.
- Critical Thinking - demonstrate the ability to apply economic reasoning to contemporary social issues and policy problems.
- Quantitative Reasoning - apply appropriate quantitative and statistical techniques to economic analysis. Conduct economic analysis using equations and graphs.
- Reporting - develop expertise needed to communicate effectively the results of economic research and analysis to colleagues and decision-makers through written reports and oral presentations.
Economics Honors Track
The Economics Honors Track provides our most highly motivated majors the opportunity to conduct advanced study and research in close contact with a faculty advisor from the department. Students can join the Economics Honors Track any time after they are accepted into the UH Manoa Honors Program and have an Economics GPA of 3.3. See the ECON Honors Track for more details.
Declare Economics as a Major or Minor
Please follow our guide to declare economics as your Major or Minor, as well as use the following forms to aid you.
- Undergraduate Guide
- BA in Economics program sheet and sample four year academic plan
- Major Declaration Form
- Minor Declaration Form
Please schedule an appointment with a department advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-808-956-8496.